:: I n t e r C i t y :: S A G A ::
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to InterCity:SAGA

A Post-Apocalyptic Sci-fi/Fantasy RPG

::INTERCITY:SAGA:: - The Discord - Update: 9-11-2022

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gerdan Myths and Legends

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GMortimer
GM
GM
GMortimer

Census Status : 430

Citizen Records
Level: 100
Faction:: $?
Achievemeter::
Gerdan Myths and Legends Left_bar_bleue0/0Gerdan Myths and Legends Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Gerdan Myths and Legends Empty
PostSubject: Gerdan Myths and Legends   Gerdan Myths and Legends I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 5:04 am

The Story of The God Ra-Gan

Many of the Clans take their names from myths and legends passed down from generation to generation, before the people of InterCity even knew there were people in the Deserts. It is unclear whether these tales bear any truth to them. For instance, it is commonly believed by the people of Gerdan that they are the children of the gods themselves. This is the legend behind the Ra-Gan Clan.

Ra-Gan was the god of war, King of the gods and creator of all things, including mankind.

Long ago, Ra-Gan lived on the earth and ruled the then glorious kingdom of Gerdan. For many centuries, this kingdom thrived and men gave Ra-Gan the respect due him, but as time passed, and Ra-Gan grew old, many began to mock him. Ra-Gan was most angry when he heard the blasphemy of mankind. He gathered the gods to him to hear their counsel.

The gods met in secrecy. All the company of great gods, gathered around Ra-Gan as he told the story of mankind's insolence. Ra-Gan spoke to his father, "Konon, you are first born, oldest of the gods, I am your son, I seek your council. The race that I have created, speak ill of me. They anger me greatly, but I will not destroy them before you have spoken."

Konon pondered for a time and then answered,"You are a great god, you are greater than me. You are the son who is mightier than his father. If you turn your hand upon the men who blaspheme you they shall perish from the earth."

Doing as his father Konon had suggested, Ra-Gan turned his terrible hand upon the men of the earth and they ran in terror, hiding in the shadows of caves where the hand of Ra-Gan could not harm them.

Once again, the gods met in counsel of Ra-Gan and they said he should send his hand down among the men so they could not hide. So the hand of Ra-Gan, in the form of the goddess Zen-No, went into the hiding places, striking fear in the hearts of men. Countless numbers of mankind were slain. Zen-No returned to Ra-Gan after the first day as mighty as a lioness. Taking the form of a giant Scorpion, she declared to Ra-Gan, "I have been mighty among mankind, and it pleased me greatly."

Ra-Gan now feared that Zen-No would destroy the human race completely. He wished to rule mankind, not see it destroyed. Zen-No was a fierce goddess, and the only way for Ra-Gan to stop her, was to trick her.

He ordered his attendants to brew seven thousand jars of beer and color it red using mandrakes and the blood of those who had been slain by her. In the morning Ra-Gan had his servants take the beer to the place where Zen-No had planned to viciously slaughter the last remnants of mankind.Ra-Gan's servants poured the beer mixture on the fields.

The following morning, Zen-No came to this place where the beer flooded the fields. Looking down, her gaze was caught by her own reflection, and it pleased her. She drank deeply of the beer, became drunk and abandoned her blood thirsty quest.

The above story is commonly believed by the Ra-Gan Clan, and is held in rememberance when the Clans Warlord has a son in the year of the Ra-Gan Star, the child takes the name of Ra-Gan's father, as a sign to show that no matter how powerful one is, if you choose to seek others counsel too often and not rely on one's self, then it may bring great pain to all the ones you wish to save.

It is not known what "Ra-Gan's Hand"really is or what it even looked like. The short story we have is taken from countless tales of the god Ra-Gan. Some believe that Ra-Gan's hand was his demonstration og inborn godlike power, others believe it to be a form of weapon. A great sword in the land of Gerdan is also known as Ra-Gan's hand.

If Ra-Gan and Zen-No were ever really gods or just rulers will never be known. As for those who escaped Ra-Gan's wrath by hiding in the shadow's and caves, it is believed that these are the forefather's of the deep desert dwellers, which now consists of the Ra-Gan and Hi-Tmy Clans.

Every Clan have their own stories and gods in which they derive their names and beliefs from. Many clans have tales of greater depth and more complete than even the Ra-Gans.

Unlike the Clans the Desert King Dryien doesn"t believe in such "superstitious nonsense" as he puts it.

Dryien has made a great empire on the border of Novard, centering around that which was once known as Las Vegas. Thinking only of more money and power, he plans and schemes in hopes of one day attacking and winning InterCity. The only thing stoping him is the nomadic Ra-Gan Clan.

He hates the Ra-Gan Clan because they are almost as large and powerful as his empire and refuse to bow down.

He has tried countless times to "rub out" the Ra-Gan's only to fail as his troops get lost in the open desert or are run down by the warrior men and women of the Ra-Gan Clan.

As of now King Dryien runs his business of slaves and beast selling to the other countries, and it is well known that even though he says all Clan legends are just myths, there is a open field in the middle of Penarp his home city. In this field of red sand there lives Scorpions so deadly that one sting will kill even the biggest of men.

If one is seen killing a Scorpion, that person is immediately put ot death, and hung upside down in the red sand field to be devoured by these poisonous beasts.

He also has a Temple of Zen-No in Penarp and is seen going there many times a day, and all of his armor, weapons, and even his troops are marked with the Scorpion symbol.

The Great Games

The Gerdan Clans pride themselves in the power of the body. This started the great games of the gods. The Games are held in honor of Konon, the futher of the Gerdan gods, and Telia, the mother of the gods, and a sacrifice of 200 monsters was made to the gods on the sunset of the festival. Athletes prayed to the gods for victory, and made gifts of animals, produce, or small cakes, in thanks for their successes.

According to legend, the altar of Konon stood on a spot struck by a powerful fire bolt, which had been hurled by the god from his throne high in the heavens, where the gods assembled. Some coins from Gerdan have a bolt of fire design on the reverse, in honor of this legend.

Over time, the Games flourished, and games became a central site for the worship of Gerdan gods. Individuals and communities donated buildings, statues, altars and other dedications to the gods. The most spectacular sight at the games is the gold and ivory statue of Konon and Telia enthroned, which was made by the sculptor from the InterCity and placed inside the temple. It stood over 50 feet high. A spiral staircase took visitors to an upper floor of the temple, for a better view of the statue.

People who are not Gerdanian cannot compete in the Games, but Gerdanian athletes traveled hundreds of miles, from colonies of the Gerdan nomad clans. These clans were as far away as Novard borders and the great sea.

After the sixth year of the games, the Desert King brought even more competitors to the Great Games, and regional differences always gave the games an international flavor.

The prize for these games is a great sword made of the finest metal and honed to perfection, and is known as Ra-gan's Hand. These swords are made by the finest craftsmen and are quite scarce. To win one is the ultimate honor of any athlete.
Back to top Go down

Gerdan Myths and Legends
Page 1 of 1